Submitted by Ana.
Great recipe to try when you have left over chicken and rice. In our family we typically make this when there’s a large family gathering. We consider it comfort food. Always good and home made.
If I had to recall a memory from this it would be my summers with my Ecuadorian family. My aunt or Grandma would make this either as my arrival or departure dinner. Our family would all get together on both occasions. Large family calls for something quick and filling.
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups of yellow rice
- 1.5 pds of pulled rotisserie chicken or chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Adobo goya
- 1/2 a packet of Sazon goya
- Rice can be made day before or if not, cook two cups of rice with two cups water. Mix in the 1/2 packet of sazon goya if cooking white rice. Bring to simmer and let cook until all water has evaporated. You can also buy the the yellow rice packets which already have seasoning. Set rice aside once completely cooked.
- Season chicken with Adobo, makes sure to coat both sides. If using pulled chicken no need to season.
- In a saute pan use 2 tablespoon of olive oil and bring to medium heat. Saute chicken until almost completely cooked through. Don’t over cook or will be dry. Toss in yellow onion and lightly brown them. Then toss in sweet peas and carrots. Add one cup of water while everything is cooking together.
- Last add the cooked yellow rice and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Garnish with hard boiled egg and cilantro